The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) serves the public trust by promoting ethical and effective fundraising. AFP members are guided in their ethical decision-making by the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards, which is grounded in a set of values that fundraisers aspire to honor in their lives and work. When these values are evident in our fundraising practice, we believe that our work leads to integrity in our personal, professional, organizational and public lives.
An ethical fundraiser aspires to:
- Observe and adhere to the AFP Code and all relevant laws and regulations;
- Build personal confidence and public support by being trustworthy in all circumstances;
- Practice honesty in relationships;
- Be accountable for professional, organizational and public behavior;
- Be transparent and forthcoming in all dealings; and,
- Be courageous in serving the public trust.
We strive to live out these values, which are at the heart of our public character as philanthropic fundraisers, and to grow in our ethical understanding and practice. The Association of Fundraising Professionals believes that ethical behavior fosters the development and growth of fundraising professionals and the fundraising profession and enhances philanthropy and volunteerism. AFP Members recognize their responsibility to ethically generate or support ethical generation of philanthropic support.
Please Note: AFP requires the completion of the following Permission Form by those wishing to reprint or reproduce (in whole or in part) the Code of Ethical Standards, and/or the Donors Bill of Rights. The form should be emailed per instruction, and permission will be granted to qualifying requests. Thank you.